You’ve been single for a long time and you have enjoyed every moment of it. You really liked being on your own, doing exactly what you wanted to do when you wanted to do it without having to answer to anyone but yourself. Your level of responsibility was nil and that was just the way you wanted it…until now. Are you thinking that you may actually want to start searching for that someone special and settle down?
According to this article, while it may sound scary to even consider this kind of a commitment the good news is the rewards are pretty great. When you find the right person who you want to spend the rest of your life with, you may find yourself wondering how you spent so much of your time without this person. What do you need to do to begin the process of finding Mrs. Right?
First decide if this is really something you want to do for the long haul. If it is just a passing phase of “everybody has someone to be with except me” then you need to get over it. Just continue dating and if you are lucky enough to come across someone who you hit it off with then even better. But don’t start looking until you are really ready because you don’t want to settle for someone out of desperation and loneliness.
Next make a list of the traits that you want in a prospective mate. This may sound funny but you don’t just go to the car lot and buy just any car. You have your preferences and you should at least do the same when choosing someone to be your wife.
Here are some key points to consider:
- Looks are always the first thing that draws us to each other. We all have our “type” so go with what has worked for you in the past. Don’t be surprised if you meet someone who isn’t exactly your physical match but for some reason you click. This happens and it is often magical.
- Sense of humor – this is critical. Laughter is not only the best medicine, it can make for a wonderful relationship filled with joy and laughter and many happy times. Life is too short to be so serious about everything. If you find someone who finds the same tings funny that you do you are in luck and in for a wonderful relationship ahead.
- Women are notorious for being caregivers but make sure that you find one who is caring and kind and not someone who wants to take over your life and be your mother. That will not work. You should look for someone who is a team player, someone who will stand with you side by side when times get tough.
- Look for a woman who is independent enough that they don’t rely on you for every little thing. On the popular television series Grey’s Anatomy, both of the two main married characters each came to a realization after being away from each other for too long. Derek said to Meredith, “I can’t live without you.” Meredith’s response was even better, she said, “I found that I can live without you, but I don’t want to.”
- It’s always a good thing if your friends and family members like your prospective spouse. They will let you know the good, the bad, and the ugly. You will quickly be able to tell if your family likes her and your friends will ask you questions about your relationship so they can assess the situation as well. Listen to their comments and don’t be afraid to answer their questions. But make sure that if the same problem issue seems to keep coming up that you pay attention to it. Sometimes we are too close to a problem to see it and later on live to regret it.
- If you have similar lifestyles your life will be a joy. If you both like to cook you will love trying out new restaurants as well as take on a cooking class. But you don’t have to be identical twins. Embrace and enjoy your differences, you can learn from each other.